Monday 22 December 2008

AN INDEPENDENT VIEWPOINT

Sometimes it's hard to know who to believe in times of economic woe. Let's compare the Metro and The Independent today. In the latter, we hear: "Retailers still hope for late rush as shoppers stay home". But in the Metro: "Last-minute shoppers come to stores' rescue". Two contrasting reports that left me completely confused on the way into work this morning. The Metro based its report on national footfall going up 7.1% year-on-year, whereas we hear from the Independent that footfall is down 8.4%. Surely these footfall results are coming from different companies, and doesn't that just show how you should never believe statistics? How can two newspapers get such different results, and who is right? There are lies, damn lies and then there's statistics. Winston Churchill was right all along...

It's that time of year again. Christmas Day is upon us this Thursday, and it's an extra special day for me as it's my birthday too. So let's clear a few things up: I do NOT get one set of presents and it's NOT annoying! In fact, I have a half-birthday on June 25th when I get presents and I suppose I've got used to having a birthday on December 25th, as I've done it for 19 years already. And it's actually really good, an excellent party piece to drop into conversation every now and again! Happy Christmas, by the way - and Happy Birthday to anyone who shares their birthday with me, like Jesus! Apart from the fact he was actually born sometime in September, but not to worry...

By the way, I'm currently working back at Premier Christian Radio in Westminster after getting back from a good term in Sheffield. I'm also going to be at The Week magazine for six days next month, which will be fun too! Looks like it's going to be a busy Christmas...