Monday 13 April 2009

A FUZZY FUTURE SIGNAL?

It's not looking good for commercial radio. In the Sony Radio Academy Awards 2009, over two-thirds of nominations are for BBC stations, in a competition which traditionally recognises commercial talent. But it seems the BBC, which hold over 60% market share of listeners nationwide across a plethora of stations, have had a good year (once you take out the Brand/Ross/Sachs affair). But whilst it should be praised for producing quality programming and justifying licence fee payers' money, this will always be at the expense of commercial stations. They do need a strong competitor, but are clearly not doing enough good work themselves according to these award nominations. You could blame the credit crunch hitting advertising revenues and budgets, but radio is all about ideas and personalities - and that is what seems to be lacking. It's good for Absolute Radio that it is up for seven awards, but that's the only silver lining in an otherwise cloudy picture. Hopefully Classic FM will pick up some gongs too - as I'm there on work experience next week!

* * *

I'm back home for Easter at the moment from the University of Sheffield and it's given me some time to think about the north and south. I write about the divide quite a lot on my blog, but it would be true to say I didn't even know it existed until I ventured into Yorkshire a few years ago! Most people in the north just don't seem to like southerners. To be honest, I don't mind northerners at all - and it's been an eye opening experience to meet so many of them. But I've always prefered the south. Maybe it's just because things are more expensive and the people don't talk to you, therefore you can feel richer without actually being rich down south - and you can get your newspaper read in peace on the train! I can't believe how many people start having a random chat with me on a bus or tram in Sheffield. I've been brought up in a London culture where it's more polite to ignore someone on the tube - in fact, that was probably the reason why the Metro newspaper was invented. So please just let me read! Sorry for being so rude - I do like a good Yorkshire pudding, so it's not all bad.

* * *

You might notice I'm writing this blog on a Bank Holiday Monday before 6am - how is that for committment?! Well it's not as if I had anything better to do, but it is Easter and I wanted to remind both readers and myself of the importance of this festival. The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu, got it spot on yesterday when saying football matches should not be played on Easter Sunday - it's a day of even more importance for Christians than Christmas Day, and it's not as if we'd all sit down as a family on December 25th to watch Sky Sports live. But aside from sports scheduling, Easter is a good time to have a fresh/new start in life - even more so than New Year - as that is exactly what an egg symbolises, and what the power of the cross represents at this time of year.

* * *

I have just finished watching the first series of Skins and must say it's one of the best dramas I've ever seen. To explain, it basically charts the life and interwinding relationships of a group of sixth-formers, by concentrating on a different character in each episode. It's incredibly well scripted and directed, as you really feel part of the action and storylines, so I would say it's highly recommend viewing. Channel 4 have produced a gem here - and it looks like the new series of The Inbetweeners, a similar drama of E4 with slightly more comedy and fun involved, will also be a success. I'm pleased to see the UK's 'alternative' and 'edgy' broadcaster producing some exceptionally good drama. Long may it continue!