Friday 11 January 2008

SLOW NEWS DAY? I THINK NOT

I've just finished a week's work experience at the Echo, a local paper which covers south-east Essex, including Southend and Basildon. It was great fun and I got to write lots of stories - three of which had by-lines - and also went to the West Ham press conference yesterday with Alan Curbishley, as well as reviewing a Southend reserve match. Well, that's great fun in my eyes anyway. And I won a bet with all the sports journalists at the Echo, over the attendance in the Essex Senior Cup game between Concord Rangers and Southend United. I said 222, and it was 230. Not bad, I think.

Anyway, after all that fun I relaxed today, knowing full well that there's often very little news on a Friday. Well, rather like Christmas Day (see below) I was wrong, and found two fabulous stories today on BBC News.

Britons 'want Del Boy TV return'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7182964.stm
I love Only Fools and Horses! It's absolutely great, and it would be fantastic if they could make another one. So agree many other people in the UK, as this survey shows. Faulty Towers, on the other hand, would not be so good for a remake. You see, it was such perfect comedy in 12 episodes that it would be a shame to make any more. It would ruin what John Cleese acheived, even though there was only 6 hours material. So let's see Del Boy back on our screens quicker than you can say menage a trois. S'il vous plait.

Parted-at-birth twins 'married'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7182817.stm
This has got to be story of the year (although it's only 11/1/08 so far). I quote the first paragraph: "A pair of twins who were adopted by separate families as babies got married without knowing they were brother and sister, a peer told the House of Lords." And then their marriage was broken by the law. Unbelievable. This is such a fresh and rare story, and although it's not exactly certain how and why they met again (all Lord Alton said was: "They met later in life and felt an inevitable attraction") it seems a bit farfetched. Still it's a super tale, and one I'm definitely going to tell my 9-year-old twin cousins next time I see them, to ensure it doesn't happen again!